When looking for the ten highest volcanoes in the world, the starting point should first be defined. The following list ranks the volcanoes according to their height above sea level and contains only active volcanoes.
- Nevado Ojos del Salado (6,893 m) in Argentina and Chile:
With the highest volcano in the world, experts disagree as to whether it is at rest or active. Eruptions are not known, but there are regular lighter emissions of gas and sulfur on the mountain.
- Coal (6.071 m) in Chile:
This volcano in the Andes is a popular destination for ambitious mountaineers, the last eruption was documented in 1960.
- Cotopaxi (5.911 m) in Ecuador:
The last eruption on the Cotopaxi was in 1940. In the times of the Incas, the Cotopaxi was revered as a sanctuary. The Incas believed that the rain gods lived on the summit and gave fertility to their land.
4. Popocatépetl (5,462 m) in Mexico:
The Popocatépetl has a sister volcano, the Iztaccíhuatl (5,286), which is no longer active. Therefore, these two mountains are often referred to as the twin volcano in Mexico. The last eruption on Popocatépetl was on June 18, 2013.
- Kljutschewskaja Sopka (4.835 m) in Russia:
The highest volcano outside of Latin America is located in the far northeast of Russia and was last active on December 29, 2009.
- Mauna Loa (4,139 m) on Hawaii in the USA:
Mauna Loa is located on an island, which, according to another definition, makes it the highest volcano in the world. Since the sea is over 5,000 meters deep at this point, the Mauna Loa would even tower above Mount Everest on land.
U.S. State Information
- Mount Erebus (3.794 m) in der Antarktis:
Mount Erebus gained notoriety in November 1979 after a plane crash that killed over 250 people. The volcano has been continuously active since 2011 with minor interruptions.
- Fuji (3,776 m) in Japan:
Fuji is one of the most famous volcanoes in the world and is considered a holy place in Japan. Therefore, Fuji in Japan is an important place of pilgrimage. The last eruption was in the early 18th century around 1707/08.
- Nyiragongo (3.470 m) in Kongo:
Nyiragongo is the highest active volcano in Africa. The region around the volcano, which was last active in 2012, benefits from Nyiragongo, as the mountain is a popular destination for tourists from all over the world.
- Etna (3,330 m) in Sicily:
Etna is not only the highest volcano in Europe, but also by far the most active volcano on the continent. In the more recent past there have been volcanic activities on Etna which lasted for several months, e.g. between January 1992 and March 1993.
The height of volcanoes can change due to eruptions. A particularly drastic example of this is Mount St. Helens (2,549 m) in the USA, the eruption of which on May 8, 1980 is one of the most famous in history. During this eruption, a large part of the northern side of the slope was blown away and the Monut Helens lost around 450 meters in height.
- 7 Things to Do in Tokyo
- Albania Tour Plan
- Bhutan Tour Plan
- Brief Information about Belarus
- Canada Travel Guide
- Djibouti Travel Overview
- Easter Holiday in Asia
- Emigration to Hungary
- Estonia Overview
- Estonia Travel Guide
- France Travel Guide
- Georgia Tour Plan
- Germany Politics and Law
- Iceland Tour Plan
- Japan Tour Plan
- Kazakhstan Tour Plan
- Laos Tour Plan
- Latvia for Sports
- Madagascar Tour Plan
- Namibia Tour Plan
- Oman Travel Guide
- Peru Tour Plan
- Qatar History
- Quick Facts about Uzbekistan
- Romania Tour Plan
- Serbia Tour Plan
- Southeast Europe Stone and Bronze Ages
- Tajikistan Tour Plan
- Tallinn Estonia
- Top 10 Sights in Belarus
- Travel Story From Cambodia
- Uganda Tour Plan
- Vietnam Tour Plan
- When Is The Best Time to Travel to Sri Lanka
- Yemen Reunification
- Zambia Victoria Falls
- Farmington, Connecticut May 28, 2023 - According to watchtutorials.org, Farmington, Connecticut is located in the beautiful Farmington Valley of central Connecticut. This picturesque town is situated at the foothills of the Berkshires and is bordered by… Read more
- Dillon, Colorado May 27, 2023 - According to watchtutorials.org, Dillon, Colorado is located in Summit County in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado. The town sits at an elevation of 9,017 feet (2,746 meters) and is nestled… Read more
- Big Pine, California May 26, 2023 - According to watchtutorials.org, Big Pine is a small town located in the Owens Valley of Inyo County, California. It is situated at the foot of the Eastern Sierra Nevada Mountains… Read more
- Cave City, Arkansas May 25, 2023 - According to watchtutorials.org, Cave City, Arkansas is a small town located in Sharp County in the northern part of the state. It is situated in a valley between two mountain… Read more
- Holbrook, Arizona May 24, 2023 - According to watchtutorials.org, Holbrook, Arizona is a small town located in Navajo County in the northeastern part of the state. It is situated along Interstate 40, about 65 miles east… Read more
- Kasilof, Alaska May 23, 2023 - According to watchtutorials.org, Kasilof, Alaska is a small town located in the Kenai Peninsula Borough with a population of around 1,000 people. The town is situated on the Kasilof River… Read more
- Carrollton, Alabama May 22, 2023 - According to watchtutorials.org, Carrollton is located in Pickens County, Alabama, with a population of around 1,800 people. It is situated at the intersection of U.S. Highway 82 and Alabama Highway… Read more
- Brule, Nebraska May 21, 2023 - According to ehuacom, Brule, Nebraska is a small town located in the western portion of the state, near the border with Wyoming. The area is known for its rolling hills… Read more
- Butler, Alabama May 14, 2023 - According to ehuacom, Butler, Alabama is a small town located in Choctaw County in south-central Alabama. It is situated on the banks of the Tombigbee River, about 25 miles north… Read more
- Burlington, Massachusetts May 7, 2023 - According to Jibin123, Burlington, Massachusetts is a small suburban town located about 10 miles northwest of Boston with a population of roughly 24,000 people. It is situated in the center… Read more