When looking for the ten highest volcanoes in the world, the starting point should first be defined. The following list ranks the volcanoes according to their height above sea level and contains only active volcanoes.
- Nevado Ojos del Salado (6,893 m) in Argentina and Chile:
With the highest volcano in the world, experts disagree as to whether it is at rest or active. Eruptions are not known, but there are regular lighter emissions of gas and sulfur on the mountain.
- Coal (6.071 m) in Chile:
This volcano in the Andes is a popular destination for ambitious mountaineers, the last eruption was documented in 1960.
- Cotopaxi (5.911 m) in Ecuador:
The last eruption on the Cotopaxi was in 1940. In the times of the Incas, the Cotopaxi was revered as a sanctuary. The Incas believed that the rain gods lived on the summit and gave fertility to their land.
4. Popocatépetl (5,462 m) in Mexico:
The Popocatépetl has a sister volcano, the Iztaccíhuatl (5,286), which is no longer active. Therefore, these two mountains are often referred to as the twin volcano in Mexico. The last eruption on Popocatépetl was on June 18, 2013.
- Kljutschewskaja Sopka (4.835 m) in Russia:
The highest volcano outside of Latin America is located in the far northeast of Russia and was last active on December 29, 2009.
- Mauna Loa (4,139 m) on Hawaii in the USA:
Mauna Loa is located on an island, which, according to another definition, makes it the highest volcano in the world. Since the sea is over 5,000 meters deep at this point, the Mauna Loa would even tower above Mount Everest on land.
U.S. State Information
- Mount Erebus (3.794 m) in der Antarktis:
Mount Erebus gained notoriety in November 1979 after a plane crash that killed over 250 people. The volcano has been continuously active since 2011 with minor interruptions.
- Fuji (3,776 m) in Japan:
Fuji is one of the most famous volcanoes in the world and is considered a holy place in Japan. Therefore, Fuji in Japan is an important place of pilgrimage. The last eruption was in the early 18th century around 1707/08.
- Nyiragongo (3.470 m) in Kongo:
Nyiragongo is the highest active volcano in Africa. The region around the volcano, which was last active in 2012, benefits from Nyiragongo, as the mountain is a popular destination for tourists from all over the world.
- Etna (3,330 m) in Sicily:
Etna is not only the highest volcano in Europe, but also by far the most active volcano on the continent. In the more recent past there have been volcanic activities on Etna which lasted for several months, e.g. between January 1992 and March 1993.
The height of volcanoes can change due to eruptions. A particularly drastic example of this is Mount St. Helens (2,549 m) in the USA, the eruption of which on May 8, 1980 is one of the most famous in history. During this eruption, a large part of the northern side of the slope was blown away and the Monut Helens lost around 450 meters in height.
- 7 Things to Do in Tokyo
- Albania Tour Plan
- Bhutan Tour Plan
- Brief Information about Belarus
- Canada Travel Guide
- Djibouti Travel Overview
- Easter Holiday in Asia
- Emigration to Hungary
- Estonia Overview
- Estonia Travel Guide
- France Travel Guide
- Georgia Tour Plan
- Germany Politics and Law
- Iceland Tour Plan
- Japan Tour Plan
- Kazakhstan Tour Plan
- Laos Tour Plan
- Latvia for Sports
- Madagascar Tour Plan
- Namibia Tour Plan
- Oman Travel Guide
- Peru Tour Plan
- Qatar History
- Quick Facts about Uzbekistan
- Romania Tour Plan
- Serbia Tour Plan
- Southeast Europe Stone and Bronze Ages
- Tajikistan Tour Plan
- Tallinn Estonia
- Top 10 Sights in Belarus
- Travel Story From Cambodia
- Uganda Tour Plan
- Vietnam Tour Plan
- When Is The Best Time to Travel to Sri Lanka
- Yemen Reunification
- Zambia Victoria Falls
- Guangzhou, China Zip Codes November 21, 2023 - Guangzhou, also known as Canton, stands as a vibrant metropolis and a testament to China's rapid economic development. Situated in the southern part of the country, Guangzhou is the capital… Read more
- Dougherty, Iowa November 13, 2023 - Dougherty, Iowa is a small town located in Cerro Gordo County in the state of Iowa, United States. Situated in the Midwestern region of the country, Dougherty is known for… Read more
- Gracewood, Georgia November 6, 2023 - Gracewood, Georgia is a small town located in Richmond County, in the eastern part of the state. Situated in the southeastern United States, Gracewood is nestled within the picturesque landscape… Read more
- White Mills, Pennsylvania October 30, 2023 - White Mills is a small borough located in Wayne County, Pennsylvania. Nestled amidst the picturesque Pocono Mountains, this charming town offers a serene and scenic environment. With a total area… Read more
- West Mifflin, Pennsylvania October 23, 2023 - West Mifflin is a borough located in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, United States. Situated in the southwestern part of the state, it is approximately 10 miles southeast of downtown Pittsburgh. The… Read more
- Chisinau, Moldova Geography October 23, 2023 - Chisinau is the capital and largest city of the Republic of Moldova, a landlocked country in Eastern Europe. The city is situated in the center of the country and has… Read more
- Weikert, Pennsylvania October 16, 2023 - Located in Union County, Pennsylvania, Weikert is a small unincorporated community nestled within the scenic Central Pennsylvania region. Situated in the Nittany Valley, Weikert is surrounded by the beauty of… Read more
- Warrington, Pennsylvania October 9, 2023 - Warrington, Pennsylvania is a small township located in Bucks County, in the southeastern part of the state. Situated approximately 20 miles north of Philadelphia, Warrington is part of the Philadelphia… Read more
- Climate in Skopje, Macedonia October 3, 2023 - According to andyeducation, Skopje, the capital and largest city of North Macedonia, is situated in the heart of the Balkan Peninsula. It experiences a continental climate with distinct seasons, characterized… Read more
- Deerfield, Missouri September 25, 2023 - According to dictionaryforall, Deerfield, Missouri is a small town located in the southwestern part of the state, in Vernon County. Situated amidst the rolling hills and fertile plains of the… Read more