Nevada General Information
Abbreviated as NV on ABBREVIATIONFINDER.ORG, Nevada is in the western United States. The state is nicknamed The Silver State. The population in 2003 was 2,241,154. The name “Nevada” comes from the Spanish adjective meaning “snowy”. The snow-covered mountains stand for the Sierra Nevada in the west of the state.
Sagebrush State, Silver State, Battle Born State
Rank (within the USA): 7th out of 50 states
Total: 286,585 km²
Land: 284,628 km²
Water (%): 1,973 km² (0.69%)
Rank (within the US): 35th out of 50 states
Total (2000): 2,241,154
Density: 7 / km²
Since: October 31, 1864
Time zone: Pacific: UTC -8 / -7
Mountain: UTC -7 / -6
Latitude: 35 ° N to 42 ° N
Longitude 114 ° W to 120 ° W
Width: 515 km
Length: 790 km
Highest position: 4,005 m
Average location: 1,675 m
Lowest position: 146 m
Nevada is bordered by Oregon and Idaho to the north, California to the west, Arizona to the southeast, and Utah to the east. The border with Arizona is mostly the Colorado.
There are 2,241,154 residents in Nevada.
Originally part of Mexico, the area had to be ceded to the United States in the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo. In 1850, the Territory of Utah, which then comprised the present-day states of Utah, Colorado and Nevada, was established by Congress. In 1859 Comstock Lode, a rich silver and gold deposit, was discovered and Virginia City was founded. With the discovery came a flood of people: prospectors, prospectors, traders and others who wanted to seek their fortune. On March 2, 1861, Nevada was separated from the Territory of Utah and adopted its current name.
On October 31, 1864, Nevada became the 36th state in the United States. During the Great Depression, Nevada allowed gambling on March 17, 1931 to fuel economic growth. Large parts of Nevada are restricted military areas. Most of the American atomic bombs were tested in the NTS. There are also facilities for testing military missiles such as the Nellis Air Force Base and the famous Area 51. The Top Gun School for the elite pilots of the US NAVY, known from the film of the same name, can also be found here. It is the Naval Air Station Fallon in the Nevada desert.
Las Vegas, Reno, Carson City, Pahrump, Elko, Boulder City, Mesquite, Fernley, Fallon
Nevada Counties and County Seats
According to Countryaah, there are a total of 16 counties in the state of Nevada.
- Churchill County (County Seat: Fallon)
- Clark County (County Seat: Las Vegas)
- Douglas County (County Seat: Minden)
- Elko County (County Seat: Elko)
- Esmeralda County (County Seat: Goldfield)
- Eureka County (County Seat: Eureka)
- Humboldt County (County Seat: Winnemucca)
- Lander County (County Seat: Battle Mountain)
- Lincoln County (County Seat: Pioche)
- Lyon County (County Seat: Yerington)
- Mineral County (County Seat: Hawthorne)
- Nye County (County Seat: Tonopah)
- Pershing County (County Seat: Lovelock)
- Storey County (County Seat: Virginia City)
- Washoe County (County Seat: Reno)
- White Pine County (County Seat: Ely)